If you’re interested in a career in sport, coaching or fitness, this course will give you all of the skills and understanding you need. You’ll cover the fundamentals of sport and physical activity through theory and practical lessons and have the chance to take part in work experience to gain valuable industry knowledge. This course has been designed in collaboration with industry experts to focus on the requirements that employers demand.
At least three GCSEs at grade 3 or 2 (grade D or E), or a Merit or Distinction at BTEC Level 1. A strong interest in all areas of sport and a desire to work in recreation, leisure, sport or related industries is required.
What will I learn?
- Develop your knowledge, understanding and skills of the essentials of sport and physical activity
- Gain an insight into the sport and physical activity industry
- Become a more confident sports leader
You’ll take part in 60 hours’ work experience during the year in a relevant placement.
Modules may include:
- Participating in sport
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Introduction to healthy exercise and nutrition
- Sports coaching
- Physical fitness and injuries in sport
- Work experience in the sports industry
- Plan, deliver and evaluate an activity session
You’ll be assessed through written and practical assignments. There are no examinations for this course.
You can use the gym and swimming pool at Totton Health and Leisure Centre for free between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday, and get involved in the college’s sports teams.
Career and progression
If you achieve merit and have grade 4 in English and maths you can progress to Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma courses. Alternatively, you can move on to employment or an apprenticeship.
There is a fee to cover trips and events. The amount will be confirmed prior to enrolment (£20-£50).