The course will develop your experience and understanding of all areas of sport and performance also develop an understanding of job opportunities in the sport and recreation industry.
This is a one year course following areas of study in both practical and theory, in which you study the following units:
- Fitness Testing and Training
- Practical Sport
- Injury in Sport
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sport
- Planning and Leading Sports Activities
- Technical and Tactical Awareness.
This is a wide ranging course which will develop your experience and understanding of all areas of sport, and also give you an insight into the job opportunities in the sport and recreation industry. You will learn:
- Anatomy and physiology for sport – the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, as well as the skeletal and muscular systems and their role in producing sports movements and actions
- Practical sport – team and individual tactics and techniques that can be used
- Nutrition – planning a healthy diet, and analysing food consumption
- Injuries in sport – investigate the main risk factors for common sporting injuries, and basic treatment procedures
- Planning and leading – develop sports leader skills including the planning, delivery and reviewing of sports sessions
- Fitness testing and training – gain knowledge of fitness and training requirements to achieve excellence in sport
How will I be assessed?
There is no examination for this course. You will be assessed through written and practical assignments and can gain Pass, Merit or Distinction.
GCSEs mostly at grade D. A strong interest in all areas of sport and a desire to work in recreation, leisure, sport or related industries is required.
What can I do next?
You may progress to level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma courses if you achieve merit and have grade C in English and Maths, or go directly to employment in the recreation, leisure, sport or related industries.