This course will give you a deeper understanding of the theory and technology contained within a vehicle. You’ll learn about electrical and chassis technologies and develop the skills required to perform analysis and maintenance on engines and transmission. Our state-of the-art motor vehicle unit also has classroom facilities so that you can learn theory and apply it practically.
For direct entry, you’ll need maths and English GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C), and be able to demonstrate a keen interest in the industry.
For progression you must have completed a Level 1 qualification in Motor Vehicle Studies or similar, and be making significant progress towards achieving your maths and English GCSEs.
What will I learn?
This course will prepare you for work in the motor vehicle industry either through an apprenticeship or further study. You will:
- Understand the theory and develop your technical skills within motor vehicle technology
- Gain hands-on experience working with engines and car components
- Learn from experienced technicians to support your career progression
- Gain an awareness of electric and hybrid vehicles
You’ll take part in two one week work experience blocks (and you can take on extra days if you like).
* Chassis technology
* Engine technology
* Transmission technology
* Electrical and electronic technology
* General aspects eg health and safety and legal requirements
You will be assessed through practical tasks and online assessment for the IMI Awards.
Career and progression
You can progress onto the Level 3 course, an apprenticeship or seek employment in the motor vehicle industry.