This course will give you the advanced skills and knowledge you need for a career in sport. You’ll be taught by a range of professionals who will make sure that you have in-depth training in all areas, and you’ll get the chance to take part in work experience to gain valuable industry knowledge.
This programme has been developed in consultation with academics and professional bodies to ensure that it supports progression to higher education as well as covering the latest techniques and trends.
Minimum of three GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) including Science, English and Maths. Merit at Level 2 Sport is accepted if you studied the anatomy and fitness units. You should currently be playing in a sports team, or training with a sports club.
What will I learn?
- Advance your understanding, knowledge and skills of the essentials of Sport and Physical Activity
- Gain an insight into the Sport and Physical Activity industry
- Become a more confident sports leader
You’ll take part in 60 hours’ work experience during the year in a relevant placement.
Modules may include:
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Preparing for a career in sport
- Principles of anatomy and physiology
- Sports nutrition
- Fitness training and programmes
- Applied sports psychology
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
All units are assessed and graded through written or practical assignments.
You can use the gym and swimming pool at Totton Health and Leisure Centre for free between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday, and get involved in the college’s sports teams.
Career and progression
If you complete the Extended Diploma, you can progress to university or move on to employment or an apprenticeship in coaching or personal training.
Course Code – P002003
Starts 1 September 2020
- One year, full-time – Introductory Diploma (equivalent to 1.5 A Levels)
- Two years, full-time – Extended Diploma (equivalent to three A Levels)
There is a fee to cover trips and events, which will be confirmed prior to enrolment (approximately £20 – £50).
There is a fee to cover trips and events. The amount will be confirmed prior to enrolment, approximately around £20 – £50.
Doing a vocational course in sport at the college was perfect for me. I’m now really enjoying doing a Level 3 Sport BTEC. As well as getting involved in sport and gaining coaching skills, you learn about sports science and the anatomy. The teachers are friendly and go out of their way to help you.