If you’re thinking of a career in the police, fire and rescue service, Army, Royal Navy or prison service, this practical course will give you all the skills you need. You’ll develop your leadership and personal fitness skills, and have the option to undertake a First Aid certificate.
Our teaching staff have backgrounds in the military and police, and the course is supported by a variety of trips and practical activities to help hone skills both in and out the classroom.
At least four GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above including English and maths, or at least a Merit in BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services.
What will I learn?
The course aims to prepare you for a career in the uniformed public services or to continue into higher education. You will:
- Understand the theory and practical techniques for uniformed public services
- Achieve the fitness and self-discipline levels required for service
- Learn critical leadership and teamwork skills
- Develop a portfolio for higher levels of study or progression into public service
You’ll take part in 60 hours’ work experience during the year in a relevant placement.
Modules may include:
- Prepare for a career in uniformed public services
- Team leadership in the uniformed public services
- Develop aspects of physical fitness for uniformed public services
- Understanding discipline
- Diversity and the public services
- Physical preparation and fitness
- Understand conflict management
- Uniformed public services employment
- Understand discipline
Continuous assessment through practical and written assignments.
You’ll get the chance to join one of our enrichment clubs and use the gym and swimming pool.
Career and progression
You can progress to a career in uniformed services or you can choose to move onto an apprenticeship or higher education.
There’s a fee to cover trips and events, including the Barcelona trip (£200-£300).