The course aims to prepare students for a career in the uniformed public services or to continue into higher education.
This is a broad-based, and highly practical 2 year course that covers many aspects of public service.
This course is equivalent to 3 A-Levels. You will study:
- Government, policies and the public services.
- Looking at the Government and how policies impact on the services.
- Team leadership
- Exploring different leadership styles and what makes an effective team.
- Researching how different views of citizenship have developed, the qualities of a ‘good’ citizen and how services provide equality of service to all members of the community.
- Discipline within the uniformed public services
- Understanding complex nature of authority.
- Diversity and the public services
- Understanding the duty to provide equality of service to all members of the community.
- Physical Education
- Fitness education for employment in the uniformed public services covering the major body systems, the effects of lifestyle, and learning how to plan and undertake a fitness training programme.
- Command and control in the uniformed services
- Learning about rank and responsibilities, students will be able to demonstrate command and control task activities.
- Uniformed public services employment
- Students will learn to identify job opportunities, training and application processes.
- Understanding behavior in the public sector.
- Researching the different types of communication behavior and conflict resolution.
How will I be assessed?
There is continuous assessment through the practical and written assignments. You should also be prepared to develop your skills in leadership, teamwork and fitness.
Five GCSEs at grade C or above including English Language and Maths, or at least a Merit in BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services with grade C in English language.
What can I do next?
You may go directly to employment in the armed forces, emergency services or prison service, or you can choose to continue into higher education.
What our students say
“When I first started at Totton College, I didn’t quite know what I wanted to do as a future career. The wide variety of topics, activities and trips led to my interest in the police force. I undertook quite a lot of activities with the Hampshire Constabulary such as public order training, and visited the Met Police in Lewisham leading to me choosing a police career.
“I had phenomenal support and positivity from the teaching staff at Totton College, allowing me to flourish.”
Law student, University of Winchester
Contact a tutor