Advancing your knowledge and ability from Level 2, this course will take your understanding of the theory and technology contained within a vehicle to the next level. You’ll learn the required skills to perform analysis and maintenance on engines and transmission. In addition, the course covers electrical and chassis technologies all while working on cars in an environment very similar to the motor vehicle industry. Our motor vehicle unit also has classroom facilities so that you can learn theory and apply it practically.
Maths and English GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C), plus two others at grade 3 (grade D) or above, plus a recognised Level 2 qualification in Motor Vehicle Studies or similar.
What will I learn?
This course will prepare you for work in the motor vehicle industry either through an apprenticeship or further study. You will:
- Advance your understanding of motor vehicle technology
- Develop diagnostic skills
- Refine your technical skills within motor vehicle technology
- Gain hands-on experience working with engines and car components
- Learn from experienced technicians to support your career progression
You’ll take part in two one week work experience blocks (and can take on extra days if you like).
* Chassis technology
* Engine electronic technology
* Advanced transmission technology
* Body electrical and electronic technology
* Automotive customer care
You’ll be assessed through practical tasks and online assessment for the IMI Awards.
Career and progression
You can progress onto higher levels of study or start your career as a junior motor vehicle mechanic with a garage as an employee or via an apprenticeship.