What will I learn?
Core knowledge – whatever your specialism as a warehouse operative, this course with help you develop a good understanding of:
- Safe driving and/or operating techniques to standard and as trained, relating to MHE; adherence to safe practice when working at heights
- Steps to take to minimise the effect your work (and the wider industry) has on the environment; the need to maintain a high level of housekeeping and manage waste effectively; efficient use of packing materials; the consequences of not using/disposing of these correctly
- Safe use of equipment and machinery (such as MHE, vehicle and delivery systems); where to find instructions/guidance; consequences of incorrect use
- Use of warehouse systems and processes relating to packaging, moving and receiving stock within a warehouse environment
- Basic IT applications and other relevant technology and systems, including warehousing management, data capture, radio and barcoding systems
- Relevant regulation and legislation (including international where relevant to role) governing the supply chain industry, your subsector and role in particular; consequences of not adhering to legal guidelines
- Effective communication with customers that store goods in line with situation and organisational style/culture
- Structure of the industry; methods and modes of transport; roles available within the sector in general and in relation to your own career aspirations
- The importance of delivering excellent customer service to customers and colleagues
- Vision, objectives and brand of the organisation; the importance of organisation reputation and what can affect it; how your own performance contributes to organisational success and support or impact on others
- Proposed and actual changes to systems, processes and technology used in the industry; how to keep up to date with any changes in the systems, processes and technology that affect your role
- How your role can affect your health and the need to maintain an appropriate level of fitness
Your work will be assessed by your tutor through an electronic portfolio and practical assessments in the workplace. At the end of the qualification, you’ll be assessed by an independent assessor.
- Practical test
- Short question and answer scenario test
N.B. 20% of the training must be off the job training – details of the elements included in the 20% off the job training are available on request.
A minimum of maths and English GCSE grade 3/D or equivalent or the ability to achieve a Level 1 functional skill.
You must achieve Level 1 English and maths prior to taking the final assessment.
- Learners with an EHCP will be reviewed on an individual basis
Career and progression
Once you’ve completed this apprenticeship, you can go on to further training, including:
- Level 3 Supply Chain Practitioner
- Level 3 Team leader/Supervisor
Following the completion of this apprenticeship, you’ll be able to pursue a career in:
- Team leadership
Contact a tutor
Make an enquiry