For those interested in a career in the motor vehicle industry, this course provides a fantastic overview of the theory and practical skills you need to get started. Taught in our fully operational motor vehicle unit, you’ll learn the technical skills in engine, transmission, electrical and chassis technologies, getting hands-on experience to apply to the world of work. You’ll also study theory in the classroom facilities at the unit.
No formal qualifications are necessary, but a good standard of English, a genuine interest in car mechanics and technology, and the ability to follow instructions and safety guidelines are essential.
What will I learn?
This course is designed for 16-19 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance of motor vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry:
- Understanding the principles and fundamental skills for motor vehicle technology
- Gain hands-on experience working with engines and car components
- Learn from experienced technicians to support your career progression
- Learn how to deal with problems in daily life
- Develop self-discipline and an understanding of industry expectations
- Understand the principles of staying safe on the road and the legislations surrounding road usage
- Develop an awareness of how your actions in the work place affect the environment
You’ll take part in two one week work experience blocks (and can take on extra days if you like).
- Follow health and safety practices in a vehicle maintenance workshop
- Safely use and maintain tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
- Functions and components of engines, chassis, transmission and basic electrical systems
You’ll be assessed in a practical way, through visual observation of tasks, oral questioning and online assessments.
Career and progression
You can progress to a Level 2 Diploma, an apprenticeship or seek employment in the motor vehicle industry.